15.9.09

not another sundae

Chris was bringing Chuck some goodies for his Wednesday night potlucks at the church.

"Max got me a Cusinart ice cream maker for my birthday." Chris told him. "I'm not much of a cook, but I sure know my ice cream. Thought I better bring the church some so we won't get fat at home."

"Just going to share the joy are you?" Chuck smiled as he took the plastic containers from him.

"I've strawberry ice cream, which is amazing. And chocolate, even some coffee ice cream we were experimenting with." Chris nodded.

"Sure you didn't put any Kahlua in there? Might really get the crowd going then." Chuck laughed as he put them in the freezer. "Thanks."

"No problem. The more I make the more I'll share. Promise." Chris beamed. He had Chloe with him too. She was really running around now and quite the little lady even if she was in overalls and sneakers. He grabbed a hold of her before she got too far. She sucked on her pacifier and played with his hair then. "So how's Nancy?"

"Make it sound like something is really going on there, Chris." Chuck looked at him. "I don't think she likes me."

"Well, its hard to tell." Chris winced. "Maybe when she's talking more, it'll help."

"Yeah, well, I scare her. Don't think she likes my kind much." He shrugged. "Maybe some wild Indian tried to scalp her once in another life." He humored Christ then. "I'm just kidding, but I'm not sure I'm the one who should be visiting. I feel really sad for her. I wish I could do something. She really gets to me. Maybe I'm too emotional." He had tears in her eyes just talking about her.

"Well, maybe you can get some of the ladies to go with you." Chris sighed. "I dunno. Max and I stopped by a time or two, but you know, it was short and all and well, you know, I know its not easy. Just don't be too hard on yourself. All right."

Chuck nodded then.

"I'm glad you're here. I think you're perfect for the congregation. You are quite a storyteller." Chris wanted him to know.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm Chuck. Can't wait to see more of him. He looks interesting

past the point said...

Hope Chuck will keep seeing Nancy.

Natalie said...

hahah, kahlua in the ice cream... that would definitely made it a party! chuck seems like a very interesting individual... can't wait to find out more about him!

the oaks said...

Chuck sounds rather interesting.

simon n josh said...

I bets he's good at this.