29.1.09

mixed signals

Geoff went out for brunch with Tony. Perhaps he really was checking up on Dayton, but Geoff got the impression Tony was checking up on him.

"You really know how to pick them, don't you?" Tony just smiled.

"What are you talking about?" Geoff shrugged as he hadn't a clue, but maybe he did.

"Dayton." Tony just shook his head.

"I see." Geoff looked at his menu and hoped they'd move on to a musical Tony might be putting on or some backdrop Geoff might need to conjur up for Tony's next play.

"I don't know if you do, where did you find this kid?" Tony laughed.

"Its different this time," Geoff nodded. "Its not like it used to be." The clubs, the scene... all of it, just didn't appeal to him anymore.

"But how can you manage?" Tony wondered. "Do you really think something like this could work?"

"I have faith in him," Geoff quietly smiled. "We get a long."

"But he's a hot head."

"So are you," Geoff finally got to his coffee then and decided on a vegetable quiche with a blueberry salad on the side. "We can take care of each other." Geoff felt. It might be a journey that meandered, but he felt certain this was the real deal.

"Its just lust," Tony was cynical about it. "That's all it is."

"I don't think so," Geoff shook his head. "I don't feel that is all there is to it."

"God, I knew the moment you called you'd do anything for him, wouldn't you?" Tony stared into Geoff's face with a slight scowl.

"Look, I've made some bad choices. And it wasn't like I had this idea, lets pick up a dude at the clinic and see how that goes. It just happened, all right. I'd seen him there a couple times, you know, and I'd get a glance that made me think, those were some mixed signals. And then we just talked, you know. I was pretty sure it wasn't going to go anywhere. But I kept thinking I could be a friend if nothing else." Geoff bit his upper lip. "Don't make it sound like I'm settling. And if he's not working out down at the playhouse then I'll find him something, else."

"He's a hard enough worker," Tony drank at his coffee and motioned for more. "I think it'll work. You have to face the fact, this guy is never coming out. You two will just be one big secret to keep. You think, you're up for that?"

"We'll just take one day at a time," Geoff said. Their food was coming, "Remember, Dayton needs a lunch break. He's brown bagging today."

"Yeah, you're in over your head, already. I bet you made him an egg salad sandwich? Didn't you?" Tony smiled.

"And a chicken salad."

Tony gave him a cross look.

"Don't worry I'd never lose a hen over any of this. I only use canned chicken." Geoff smiled.

6 comments:

Cate said...

"Let's pick up a dude at the clinic and see how that works" - I laughed ^^
It's beautiful the way Dayton caught Geoff's eye.
I also think Dayton is never coming out. And I also got the impression that he's a hard worker. that's a very nice impression.
Canned chicken? Never heard of that!

taffy. said...

I wonder how Geoff and tony know each other...

cady said...

Geoff is such a nice person. He reminds me of a friend of mine.

Anonymous said...

Yeah...I did like that part..lets pick up a dude at the clinic....I don't know why it reminded me of something from the story "jesus' son".

ivy said...

I wish I could have had that brunch. Interesting conversation.

Unknown said...

haaaaa. geoff's kind of like alan. which is good.