14.9.08

a little bit

Oliver would give anything if a bit of music was swimming in his head.

It was such a fast morning.

What had just happened?

All he'd been able to do was give Bex a fix of weed that night. He felt bad about that. He couldn't talk about it. He couldn't say to her, "God, why didn't I beat Dayton up or something." It just never occurred to him. He definitely wasn't a fighter. He was around that enough with his sister. He just wanted to get on with things and ignore Dayton, completely.

There were just better things to think about. Weren't there?

They'd cuddled a bit afterwards and then fallen asleep.

Next thing he knew, she was late for class and he was trying to get something on to get to the library by eight.

It was even a dead morning at the library, but he'd never know it. Especially, with the reports, the money, all the shit he never thought about having to do because usually in the afternoons when he got there that was all done.

"Well, you better shape up, boy." No way was Miranda from inter-library going to take over head of circulation. "See what you did?" Like he needed to hear it was all his fault that Betty had to leave. It was like a vacation for her. She was still getting paid. But still, he could tell they all had it in for him from their evil stares in technical services and even over in the children's library department.

It left Oliver in more of dire need of wanting to get away by lunch so he called Nelson to pick him up. Nelson brought a bucket of chicken and they ate at the park.

"I don't know what to do," Oliver wasn't sure why he was telling Nelson this because Nelson would probably just tell him he needed another baggie of substance to get him through the day. "I just blew it! You know. I just stood there doing nothing."

"Well, it was their fight," Nelson admitted.

"Well, yeah, but still. I couldn't get myself to think what to do. I should have done something." Oliver squinted with a miserable headache that would not go away as he nibbled on a greasy fried chicken leg.

"You'll think of something."

"I can't," Oliver winced more. "Can I do this? Is this going to work with Bex?" He felt as if he were about to shatter.

"Man, you are in the door. You're in her bed. I think you're a winner, bro." Nelson just shrugged devouring a fat chicken breast.

"Now what?"

"You're in it for the long haul, ain't you?"

"Yeah." Oliver nodded, wondering how much good it would do if he didn't even have a job.

"You'll think of something." Oliver could tell Nelson wasn't too worried about it. "You're wearing Bex's shirt, aren't you?" It was just the white one. He had his suspenders on along with her tuxedo pants.

Oliver just stared at Nelson wishing he hadn't said anything.

"I didn't bring enough clothes with me."

"Uh, huh." Nelson gave him a silly smile.

"Don't look at me like that, I had too." Oliver shrugged.

"You and Bex." Nelson just shook his head. "Bit off more than you can chew, didn't you?"

Well, he was no help. Oliver didn't even feel like thanking him for lunch.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

interesting!!! I really like Oliver, he's so considerate!!!



Krosemarie

Yesha said...

i don't want to hate Ollie. but glad he realized he should have done something. i feel sorry for Bex now. =[

L said...

Awww, I hope it works out with Ollie and Bex. I'm glad Dayton's gone!!! :D

Aurley said...

Ahaha. I love the "Bit off more than you can chew, didn't you?"
I always think its cute when they see through people denying true relationships. XD
Thanks for the comment too!
~Aurley

Diana Coronado said...

Oliver rocks !!

Anonymous said...

go away dayton! :D


jules
http://www.soloden.com
http://www.solofoodtrip.blogspot.com